Half My Size with The Ridiculously Big Salad (RBS), published in 2019, updated 2020
This book has sold over 20,000 copies (together in both print and digital versions) and has driven massive weight loss success in the Eat Like a Bear! community. If you choose to take the salad approach in your implementation, this book and companion videos will be your very best tool.
What’s in the digital RBS book:
- Why, What, & How. Learn the underlying framework of The Ridiculously Big Salad itself.
- The Greens. How much. Which greens.
- The Protein on Top. How much. Bulk-cooking strategy and instructions/recipes. Recipes include chicken breast, ground beef, ground pork, ground turkey, beef roast, pork roast, steak strips, bacon, salmon, boiled eggs, shrimp, scallops, and tuna.
- The Dressings. There are 15 salad dressing recipes including classic vinaigrette, Dijon vinaigrette, Ranch, coleslaw, Cesar, Italian, creamy Italian, poppy seed, honey mustard, Asian peanut, Asian teriyaki, tartar sauce dressing, blue cheese, Big Mac "special sauce," cilantro vinaigrette, green goddess.
- The Featured Salads. There are 15 "featured salads" that use the framework in a highly crafted way. However, the primary goal of the book is to mix and match the dressings, greens base, proteins, and other toppings to make hundreds (thousands?) of your own salads. The Six-Week Plan is crafted with that goal in mind, helping you taste dozens of combinations in a kitchen-manageable fashion.
- Your Six-Week Meal Plan. Each week includes salad plan with shopping lists.
None of the recipes are vegetarian at this time. Some do include dairy, which could be easily removed or replaced.
The hardcover and digital versions of the book include the same text. The hardcover version has higher-quality design and a gallery of photos. The digital version directs you to success cases on our website. The digital book is designed to be easily printed from a home printer.
This product includes the digital version of the book.
What’s in the RBS digital course:
The digital course includes the digital version of the book "Half My Size with The Ridiculously Big Salad" as well as additional printable PDF documents from the book. In total, the PDF downloadable files (easily printed on a home printer) include:
- A printer-friendly PDF download of the Half My Size with The Ridiculously Big Salad book
- Featured Salads
- Salad Dressing Recipes
- Six-Week Plan
To date, the course has 11 companion videos on these topics:
- Why the Ridiculously Big Salad for Weight Loss?
- The Ridiculously Big Salad "Parts"
- Batch Cooking Protein on The Ridiculously Big Salad
- The Greens on the RBS?
- More on the Greens (Their Purpose)
- Whip up a Dressing!
- Electrolytes with The Ridiculously Big Salad
- The #1 Reason for a Stall
- Two Meals? How to Think About It
- Look Again at that Salad! (Assessing the salad and your goals)
- Maximize Your “RBS Happiness”
The digital course is a one-time cost.
Best for: Anyone serious about implementing the framework of The Ridiculously Big Salad. (Caution to those who take for granted that it is “just a salad.” It’s a framework, and if you’re not meeting your goals, you may need to double-down with this book.)
The "Ridiculously Big Salad" Makes the News!
When I was on NBC news affiliate KGET, news anchor Maddie Jannsen was pretty amazed by the ridiculously big size of the bowl I use to eat The Ridiculously Big Salad.
The Ridiculously Big Salad is its own framework
The Ridiculously Big Salad has an actual, specific framework, a key point that blew my mind since I was really just flying blind all of those months, grinding out the weight loss from 2017 into 2018. I had no intention whatsoever to be here in 2020 writing a book about it all, or leading a mini-revolution among the women on Facebook and YouTube. Heck, I just wanted to be able to walk across my house without limping and to hike with my sons in the forest near our home in California's Giant Sequoia National Monument. My desperation was deep and my goals were basic.
All that said, you know my mantra in the Eat Like A Bear! group: You don't need surgery, drugs, or branded products to succeed with this weight loss approach. All you need is your own bootstraps. Reach down and pull yourself up.
As I say in the original e-book on this website, The Bear Bones Blueprint, you do not need this book about The Ridiculously Big Salad. I discuss "The Ridiculously Big Salad" LIVE on Facebook regularly, in the Eat Like A Bear! group on Facebook, and anywhere else I happen to be. Fellow moms at my sons' school see me and my actual real-life salads regularly. The salad is no secret. The book has no secrets. I am not going to tell you that there are three hidden secrets in the book that will unlock your weight loss dreams. You don't need me or this book for that because you already have yourself and, it turns out, that is really all you actually need.
However, for some months I have gotten feedback that people want more specific details about the salad. From that feedback, I holed up in my kitchen weighing and measuring things like I never do (and hope not to have to do all that often) and realizing, by golly, this salad thing really is an actual framework. I lay the framework out in this book.
Do I need this digital course if I know how to make salads?
More so, there is a specific way I prepare the salads using very basic bulk cooking strategies, to ensure that I always have a 10-minute salad at my disposal every single day that tastes different from yesterday's salad.
The digital book is laid out according to these bulk cooking strategies: Each week you will bulk cook one or two protein items. You will eat some this week and freeze some. I instruct you how to do so.
Do I need this digital book if I know how to make salads?
When I started to work on this book, I said to people, "Anyone who knows how to make a salad does not need this book."
I gave an earlier draft to a few core Bear members, all of whom know how to cook and make salads. One of them had been stalled and frustrated. She's an excellent cook. I noticed that despite her skills, reading the book prompted her to implement the strategy with new gusto and she's already down a few pounds as a result.
Maybe sometimes it's not really about the recipe, but about the motivation and inspiration. The book describes why the framework works and why you should try it.